More pictures of my entry.





Well, here are more pictures of my piece for my Hardware Store Challenge.


In the center of the necklace there is a wooden molding thing that I treated with some wood stain and nailed little copper tacks into.

I was thinking about hearts, achy hearts , hurts and the image of the Virgin of Seven Sorrows came to mind. If you haven't grown up with a catholic grandma, then you probably don't know what that is. It's a painting of the Virgin Mary with an anatomically correct heart that has seven little knives piercing it, all bloody, all so sad.

It probably symbolizes her suffering for her son and humankind, but for me , as a tiny child it just signified infinite sadness.
So did Jesus on the cross. My grandma gave me a crucifix when I was five, but my mom wasn't religious and as a matter of fact, forbade my grandma, my fathers mom, to take me to church and give me things like that.

So I hid it under my pillow and I pried Jesus off the cross, because he seemed to suffer so very much and I simply had to do something about it.
I don't think I got the right message when it comes to religion.

So the wood center with the tacks is a tribute to sad things, sorrows, Catholicism and such.

The rest of the piece is more playful in a sweetly macabre fashion.
There is a fat little bat, washers, onyx cabochons, midnight shade dichroic cabochons.

Eventually the piece took a left hand turn and became it's own thing, and now more then anything, it reminds me of Mad Max and such...
Paul says it's very metal. Heavy Metal that is.
I don't know what to think of it.
It was fun to make it.

By the way, thank you for your kind comments regarding Sammy's butt. She is feeling much better.

Comments

  1. What a fun post to read, Kinga! Your hardware store challenge necklace is quite fabulous - thanks for sharing your thoughts on the design process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callie, thank You so much:))
    Evim, koszi szepen! Sammy tenyleg a legjobb modell, minding nagyon turelmes, de csak akkor, ha kozben etetem sajttal:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kinga, you got all that done in a month I love it! Your piece is so stunning I love the way you incorporated your hardware finds. You inspire me to give bead embroidery another try.

    So glad to hear that Sammy is doing better.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really is a stunning piece

    ReplyDelete
  5. An exceptionally beautiful piece of jewelry! The composition is so consistent. It looks only at second glance, that the ingredients come from the hardware store.
    Good luck for the contest!
    Uli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinga, I love your designs! I really love asymmetrical jewelry and this is an awesome piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts